Be Moved. Be Still. Embodied Arts Teacher Training & Mentorship 10 Month Program
An interdisciplinary approach to movement & mindfulness practice
2018 PROGRAM AT CAPACITY
The Spirit Loft Movement & Yoga Centre was established as a quasi playground-laboratory. A space for practitioners to experience and explore the synthesis of embodied practices to assist in the development of their awareness, movement potential, compassion and well-being. Informed by ancient traditions, contemporary research and innovation, we offer this Be Moved. Be Still. intensive training program. We are dedicated to the development of curious and diligent students of movement, stillness and community practices. Our mission is to provide a fertile ground for one to explore an inner transformation with a social one.
Through this program you will:
- Cultivate an intelligent, diverse and creative approach to how you practice and how you express your human complexity.
- Develop and learn to share a practice that is diligent, sustainable, resilient, curious, nourishing and compassionate.
- Progressively deepen your knowledge and experience with the forms and practices that can assist in your development as a student and your potential as a teacher.
Our methodology includes:
- A comprehensive study of breath dynamics and developmental kinesiology
- Extensive movement, mobility, strength, coordination and skills training & development
- An exploration of traditional and contemporary body maps of functional, structural and subtle body anatomy
- A supportive and progressive experiential practice of meditation and mindfulness
Program Dates: February 23-25:
- Breathing Fundamentals
- Spinal Dynamics
- Developmental Kinesiology for Movement Assessments & Resets
- Introduction to Mindfulness Practice & Study
- Lower Body Mobility & Movement Fundamentals Part 1
- Ancient Insights for Modern Times: Yogic Philosophy & Study with Hali Schwartz
- Mindfulness Studies: The First Foundation
- Upper Body Mobility & Strength Part I
- Ancient Insights for Modern Times: The Five Elements with Cathy Keenan, Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner
- Mindfulness Studies: The Second Foundation Part I
- Upper Body Mobility & Strength Part II
- Kinstretch™ and Athletic Development with Dana John Heimbeker, Senior FRC Instructor & Athletic Performance Coach
- Mindfulness Studies: The Second Foundation Part II
- Lower Body Mobility & Movement Fundamentals Part 2
- Weightlifting: The Squat & Deadlift with Paluna Santamaria, Senior Agatsu Instructor, Trainer & Multi-Disciplinary Movement Educator
- Mindfulness Studies: The Third Foundation Part I
- Agility & Speed Training
- Outdoor Movement, Play & Parkour
- Floor Skills & Acrobatics Part I with Kirsty Gossart, GMB Fitness Lead Trainer
- Mindfulness Studies: The Third Foundation Part II
- No weekend module/self-study & practice
- Introduction to a Trauma Informed Approach to Movement Education with Jane Clapp, Body Intelligence for Trauma & Mental Health Specialist
- Coordinations, Rhythm and Musicality with Elke Schroeder, Dance & Movement Teacher & Performer
- Mindfulness Studies: The Fourth Foundation
- 3-day Movement & Mindfulness Retreat with Andre Talbot, Catalina Moraga & Poep Sa Frank Jude Boccio, Dharma Teacher, Yoga Teacher & Author
- Communication, Language & the Art of Skillful Teaching
- Mindfulness Studies: The Fourth Foundation
- Floor Skills & Acrobatics Part II with Kirsty Gossart
- Frameworks for Assessment, Programming & Sequencing
- Understanding Pain & Injury
- Closing Ceremony
- Once a month weekend modules in Toronto for duration of program, except August (self study month) and October (out of town weekend retreat). Weekend Module Schedule: Friday 6:30 – 9:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 1 – 7pm. October Weekend Retreat Schedule: Friday 1 pm – Sunday 4 pm
- 135 contact hours with lead or guest faculty and approximately 25 hrs of self-practice and self-study expectation
- Unlimited Membership at Spirit Loft Movement & Yoga Centre for the duration of the program with expectation of a minimum of 25 group classes attended between February – November 2018
- Once monthly group on-line discussion session with lead instructors and online content
Practicum, Proficiency Testing & Certification:
90% of in-class hours on program dates must be attended for certification. Missed sessions beyond this must be made up with lead instructors and may involve an extra fee. After each module, there will be proficiency testing, assignments and homework. The final practicum will be a 60-minute class taught to the general public and evaluated by the Spirit Loft team and faculty members. This practicum will take place once all other requirements have been met and received, including all assignments and tests.
Who is this program for:
Students of movement, athletes, yoga teachers and practitioners, pilates instructors, personal trainers, body workers & manual therapists, wellness professionals. There are no prerequisites in terms of physical abilities to attending. What is required is a willingness to commit to the rigours of the program and the practices of self-study and reflection.
Investment: $3500 + HST (payment plans available)
The 2018 program is sold out. We will announce 2019 dates in the Spring.